SurroundTraxx DSP-80 Multi-Train Sound System for DCC
SurroundTraxx is a major breakthrough in sound systems for model trains! For the first time, a sound system has been designed with multiple trains in mind. SurroundTraxx gives you the realism of high-fidelity sound moving with the train as it travels about the layout, without installing speakers onboard the engine.
SurroundTraxx works with a multiplicity of audio speakers that are strategically placed in hidden locations around the layout. Using the latest digital signal processing (DSP) technology and advanced block detection techniques, SurroundTraxx faithfully reproduces the sounds made by each train on the layout and directs the sound to the speaker closest to the train's location. As a train moves along its route, SurroundTraxx makes continuous adjustments to the sound level of each speaker so that the sound appears to follow the train around the layout.
SurroundTraxx does not simply switch the sound from speaker to speaker. It uses an intelligent cross-fade algorithm that factors in train speed, direction, and distance between speakers. The sound makes a smooth transition as your train travels from one sound zone to the next without abrupt pops or thumps.
- DCC surround-sound system for your layout
- Suitable for all scales -- N through G!
- Sounds interact and “move” with your trains; no onboard speakers necessary
- Use with any 8-ohm speaker (or subwoofer for lower frequencies)
- Six sound channels support six different “sound zones” on your layout
- Simultaneous sound operations for up to six trains to be dispatched at once
- Memory storage for up to 99 locomotive profiles
- An extensive sound library to closely match all popular steam and diesel prototypes
- Ambient effects such as echo and reverb
SurroundTraxx stores a roster of locomotive sound settings in a database called the Roundhouse. This is an extensive library that you can set up and adjust to match your model's prototype or to sound like your favorite horn or whistle, prime mover, or exhaust chuff. Each engine can have a unique sound profile!
Once you have entered your locomotive roster into the Roundhouse, you can use the internal “dispatcher,” which allows up to six trains to be in operation at one time. SurroundTraxx can be set up to pick the first six locomotives detected, or you can assign these slots to the locomotives of your choice (perfect to make sure your favorite engine never goes silent!). These locomotive “slots” used by the dispatcher are called Auto Dispatch (AD) slots.
After the trains have been dispatched, the block detector will identify the trains' locations, the speed they are traveling, and the point where they will cross into new blocks. SurroundTraxx uses this information to move the appropriate sounds to the corresponding sound channel (six are available) on the SurroundTraxx unit. SurroundTraxx uses an intelligent cross-fade algorithm that factors in train speed, direction, and distance between speakers. This reproduces the sound in such a way that it appears as though it is being emitted directly from the train rather than the speakers on the layout.
The multiple trains running on the layout can all be in the same area or spread throughout the layout. SurroundTraxx will still dispatch and reproduce their respective sounds in full audio richness. It truly is a complete layout sound system with multiple trains and operating sessions in mind!
Note: If using single-channel mode (default), the sound will feed through all six channels at once and does not follow the train. In order to set up the other modes of operation, you must use Digitrax® transponding block detection on your layout.
Included with SurroundTraxx:
- SurroundTraxx system
- 5V power supply
- Network cable
- Speaker harness for six sound channel outputs (6' sections of each)
- Quick Start Guide
- Owner’s Manual CD
- Customer registration card
Additional items needed for operation:
- Up to six 8-ohm speakers
- Optional subwoofer
- The appropriate DCC mobile decoders equipped with transponding or a TL-1 transponder
- Digitrax DCC Command Station, cabs and power boosters
- Additional speaker wire if using a distance greater than 6’
- Digitrax BDL-168 (or older BDL-162) Block Detectors
- Digitrax RX-4s (eight total)